Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring Break 2011

One night in February, Ben and I were talking about his upcoming trips. He mentioned that he had one coming up in Salt Lake City and I noticed that it just happened to be during spring break. That kind of bummed me out until....I got the bright idea that we could just join him! I mean there are lots of things to do in SLC, skiing being one of the many. It took a little arm twisting to get him to agree, but once he was in there was no looking back. This was our first trip flying with all 3 kids since Sidney was 9 months old.

They were fabulous the whole way there despite getting up at 4:30 am on Thursday and making 2 connections!!! Sidney loved the airplanes.
We met Ben's parents at the Homewood Suites in SLC that night. Great hotel. The best parts were the free breakfast every morning, free dinner most nights and the indoor pool which we used quite a bit.
Friday morning I had scheduled the kids for all day ski lessons at Solitude.
It was GREAT. They got comfortable on their skis and Ben and I got to get some time in on the slopes as well while we got to peek in on them quite often. Sidney wasn't too thrilled that first day on the skis so she spent alot of it inside playing.



I took a few good tumbles that day as the green slopes were a little more aggressive than i was accustomed to. I hurt my knee pretty good on the last fall. Luckily it wasn't serious and got better in a few days.

Saturday morning, Linlee and Conner woke up with horrible looking red eyes.

We had not put goggles on them the day before and they apparently already had eye infections which were made worse by the glaring sun. Ben took Conner to the Dr and we got drops. All was better by the next morning. Needless to say, I invested in goggles for them that day!

We went back to Solitude for half a day on Saturday afternoon. Since my knee was bummed, I didn't rent skis but did take Sidney out on skis. By then end of the afternoon, she was skiing down the bunny slope all by herself. She was so pleased!!!


Ben took her on the ski lift and skied down with her on the little green. She loved it. Linlee and Conner were absolutely amazing at how well they were doing on their own. They both went down the green slope that I fell on the day before!

On Sunday, we took a break from skiing and went swimming and to the tubing park. Tubing wasn't so great that day so we just let the kids play at the Fort Frosty and the older kids rode the mini snowmobiles.


This was by far Conner's favorite part.

He loved racing Linlee around the track. they also had a blast just playing in the snow playground.



The next day, Ben's parents kept the kids so Ben and I could have a day to ski. they took them to Jungle Jim's Playland. I don't have to mention how much they loved this do I?




While all that fun was going on, Ben and I tried out Park City. WOW!!!!

At first it was a little overwhelming, but they had some great slopes. They also offered night skiing which is just beautiful! We accidentally got caught on a blue slope (I am not a blue slope skier....). After crawling down the first drop, I gradually made my way down in one piece. It was scarey but fun. I didn't do it again...
I took the kids swimming and back to the tubing park the last day since Ben had to work.


On our way back we had a layover in Memphis. David Fish just happened to be there on his way home and so we briefly got to see our old friend. The picture is blurry but the kids were super excited!

Great way to end the trip!
We will most definitely go back to Utah~!!

No comments: